Thursday, June 12, 2008

Andrew Bacevich's case for Obama

Andrew Bacevich is one of my favorite writers, writing as he does from a traditional conservatism that hasn't eaten from the poisonous neocon apple. Back in March he wrote an essay in the American Conservative arguing why it makes sense to vote for Obama over McCain. It's good to see others out there who struggle with the same issues I have struggled over. Is Obama ideal? No, of course not. But he's far better than McCain on key issues that are too far reaching to ignore. I say this as someone who used to support McCain. I even gave money to his 2000 campaign. The John McCain of today is nearly unrecognizable from who he was eight years ago. I would still vote for the earlier McCain, but I can't in good conscience vote for who he is now.

No comments: