Friday, May 28, 2010

Laying it Down

A sword was handed to me
and I took it up
and laid my life down
with many before me as well
with a story to tell
just like mine.

My friend my brother
my sister to my side
to serve and protect
leading and being led
into the valley of darkness
side by side we bled.

I left home, life, lover
to fight for and defend
those I love
sometimes it made sense
sometimes I
just did what I could
to live to see
another day
and help those
by my side
to do the same.

My uniform has colors
not sewn into the fabric
of who we are
colors seen by eyes
colored by blood
sweat grit and grime
that only those
by my side
can recognize.

Hold my hand
don't ever let me go
close my eyes
so that I won't see
what I've helped you
never to see.

If nothing else
if nothing more
remember me
your brother sister
son daughter friend lover
and even if you don't understand
please know I
did this for you.

No comments: